Hate Crime

What is Hate Crime and how do I get help
The University of Portsmouth is committed to providing a positive experience for all students and staff. We believe that bullying, harassment, assault and discrimination are never acceptable.

What is Hate Crime?
A hate crime is an action or behaviour that is motivated by hostility towards a protected characteristic. These are age, disability, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership or pregnancy and maternity.

Anyone can be a victim of hate crime. You do not have to be a member of the group the hostility is aimed at. For example, you could be called a religious slur without being a member of that religious group.

Immediate help:
● Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile).
● Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try to find somewhere you feel safe. If you are at the University, you can call University Security on 3333 or 3418 or go to your nearest University building and ask someone to phone Security for you.
Support for students in crisis

 Support for students
●      Make sure you look at the UoP Dignity and Respect Policy
●      Make sure you look at the Student Conduct Policy 2023
●      You can use the Report and Support system to report your concerns
●      Speak with one of the following for advice and guidance:
o   Personal Tutor
o   Student Union Advice Service
o   Student Wellbeing Service
o   A member of the Residence Life Team/Residence Life Assistant
o   Student Housing
o   Harassment and Bullying Advisor
o   Equality and Diversity

● The University offers a range of health and wellbeing support through the Student Wellbeing Service. details of the services available and to book an appointment can be found here
● Consider submitting extenuating circumstances if your studies have, or are being affected.

Support for staff members
● Make sure you look at the UoP Dignity and Respect Policy
● Talk to your line manager. Particularly if your work has been/is being affected. If it is your line managers behaviour that is affecting you talk to their line manager
● Have an informal conversation with 

o   Harassment Advisor
o   Equality and Diversity
o   HR Business Partnering Team
o   Your Trade Union representative

● If the situation is affecting your wellbeing talk to your manager about a Management Occupational Health Referral
● You may wish to access the Staff Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) service 

Other sources of support
● Contact Portsmouth City Council Hate Crime Service asbu@portsmouthcc.gov.uk,  02392 841050
True Vision is a national website that gives advice around hate crime and how to report it.
● If the incident is related to LGBTQ you might want to speak to a LAGLO, Lesbian and Gay Liason Officer
Stop Hate UK. A national organisation working to challenge all forms of hate crime and discrimination, based on any aspect of an individual’s identity. Stop Hate UK provides independent, confidential and accessible reporting and support for victims, witnesses and third parties.
Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incident.
Victim Support help anyone who has been the victim of a crime. They can support you coping with the after-effects of crime and help with reporting to the police.

Reporting for students and staff members
● Report and Support. Staff and students can report an incident anonymously, or with contact details for support, using the University’s Report and Support system.
● To the police. You can report a crime using the non-emergency number, 101, or your can report to the police through True Vision
● Make a formal complaint using the University’s procedures laid out in the Dignity and Respect Policy